It can be frustrating organizing your information for your tax preparer. One or more of the following strategies may help:
* During the year, put all tax-related receipts/forms into an accordion file -- charitable contributions, property tax receipts, 1099's, w-2's, etc.
* At the end of the year, divide into categories and add up the receipts before submitting to the return preparer.
* Don't give the preparer a "shoebox of receipts." You want the preparer to concentrate on ways to save you tax dollars, not run an adding machine tape.
* Try to give all, or most, of your information to the preparer at one time.
* Compare your final numbers with your prior-year return. I send out Organizers that a lot of clients find extremely useful because prior-year numbers are filled in. That way, clients can review the prior year as they're asssembling the current-year information to see if anything was overlooked before coming into the office.
As always, please call me if you have any questions or need additional guidance.